a MMB! Kendo Blog: Searching for Inspiration

MMB! Kendo Blog

Monday, August 29, 2005


忍耐 + 掌握人生
Searching for Inspiration

After taking a 2-week break in Kendo, tonight will be the night I will pick up my shinai once again and resume my normal Kendo training routine. There are only 40 days left before I leave for Japan and Nittaidai, so I must get my kendo and stamina training up to speed within the remaining days if I were to utilise my time well in Japan. I am still on cough medication at the moment, and am even feeling a bit sleepy right now after taking the medication, but I am really feeling much better now. So things can really only go uphill from here.

Between now and Japan, my priorities are health first, stamina second, and technique third.

During the past 2 weeks, I had the luxury of sleeping early (YAY!) and surfing the Kendo World forum for some inspiring Kendo videos:

WKC Female kendoka shiai video – oh, the debana kote. I’d love to have one of those!
http://www.kendo-world.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7793

Hurugawa’s tsuki lesson - Hurugawa Sensei was the high school teacher of the Eiga brothers, and he is famous for his tsuki.
http://www.kendo-world.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7829

One handed Kendoka - This documentary is about a Korean Kumdo player who lost his left hand in a freak factory accident. Since then, he has put his heart and soul into Kumdo training. His hard training and perserverance paid off when he went on to win a regional competition. It is a truly inspirational real-life story.
http://www.kendo-world.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7623

Henry Small, the legless fighter – This is a truly amazing video. I really admire Small’s fighting spirit and perserverance.
http://www.kendo-world.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7640

6 Comments:

  • Apart from kendo sites, can you look for some food sites while you're at it?

    Thanks ... haha

    By Blogger plautus, at Monday, August 29, 2005 5:22:00 PM  

  • Hi Viv :)
    Taking a break is good for the body...and soul...^^

    I went back to training last Thursday (high on the list of one of my worse ideas). Although my stamina and strength is shot to pieces for the first time in a while I feel like my kendo is improving ^^;;;... (or maybe I'm dillusional *shrugs*)

    You should come on Thursdays actually, it's quite a...good...workout. Lots of ai-uchikomigeiko ^^;.

    Can't believe you're leaving for Nittaidai so soon :O...

    By Blogger Quoth the raven, at Tuesday, August 30, 2005 9:21:00 AM  

  • The trainings in Japan will definitely push you to your limits. If you get through this stage, it does make it easier to move on to the next goal. Good luck!!!

    By Blogger Mingshi, at Tuesday, August 30, 2005 12:41:00 PM  

  • Good idea! When I have time, I will compile a list of memorable restaurants, food, eating experience and post it up here.

    Thanks to Plautus, eating in the complete darkness at the Darkside Restaurant last Saturday was quite a interesting (weird) experience.

    And the week before at Prime Steakhouse, I got the chance to taste Yoshi's barramundi roulade and the pan fried oysters. Oh, I was in heaven! It was my first time to eat oyster prepared in pan-fried style and I tell you, it's most beautiful!

    Anyway, my list just keeps going on and on, so I will prepare a humble foodie list for all who are interested.

    By Blogger Vivian Yung, at Tuesday, August 30, 2005 1:53:00 PM  

  • Hey Sussan,

    It was good to get back into Kendo training last night. I plan to come this Thursday, so I will see you there. :D

    By Blogger Vivian Yung, at Tuesday, August 30, 2005 1:55:00 PM  

  • Hey Mingshi,

    Yeah, I really hope that I will be able to get a lot out of that trip and learn a lot of new things during that 4 weeks in Japan. Hopefully, I will come back like a superwoman. hahaha.

    By Blogger Vivian Yung, at Tuesday, August 30, 2005 1:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home