a MMB! Kendo Blog: I am in Japan!

MMB! Kendo Blog

Tuesday, October 11, 2005


忍耐 + 掌握人生
I am in Japan!

I am having absolutely great fun here in Japan. Oh yeah!!! I am totally enjoying myself here. Through Michael Komoto and Alex Bennett, I have been making lots of great kendo friends, such as Yoshiyama Sensei who is super famous for writing numerous important works for the IKF, including the 100 Years history of the Zen Kendo and the grading examination training guide. I even had the great honour to visit his house and join him for dinner last night with Michael Komoto. Gosh! His house is a museum. So many art works. There are 2 big grand pianos at his house, because his sister in law is a pianist, and his father is a famous painter. Waaaa. I am going to show you the videos I taped last night. Magnificent.

Everyone is super nice here. They have been treating me so well. 4 weeks do not seem to be enough. I wat more leaves!!!!!

I competed in the Kyoto Companies Kendo Tournament today. It is the place where the annual Kyoto Taikai in May is held. hahaha, so previleged to play in such a historical place in my first kendo geiko in Japan.

Good news. I came third in the Womens Individuals and 3rd in the Team events. Woohooo!!!!!! Something I could bring back to show my friends and family. YAY!!!!

Kendo World Team A and B came equal 3rd in the Team event. YAY! Well done KW! Yoko San and myself came 2nd and 3rd respectively in the womens category. Alan Cornell came 3rd in the nidan and below division, and Greg Robinson came 2nd in the yondan division.

Anyway, I am completely drunk now coming back from the after-party of the competition. I have never drunk so many beers and sake in my whole life!!! People just kept pouring beer and sake into your glass. I tell you, Japan has a completely crazy drinking culture. I have probably drank some 2-3 litres of beer and alcohol tonight. Easy. I never knew I am such a good drinker until tonight. Oh, that:s a worry, but too happy to care at the moment. Okay, this does not sound like Vivian. I think I ought to go to rest myself, before catching the shinkasen back to Tokyo and doing some more heavy training at the Nippon Sports Science University. Oh yes, and I will try not to get injured.

4 Comments:

  • OMG!!! 2 grand piano's???You gotta be kidding me? Exactly how big is his house? I've always dreamed of getting a grand piano..but 2??WOW!!!

    Congratulations on you win!! Looks like you are at par with Japanese female kendoka's as well!! Sounds good =P Do show us the medals when you get back okay? And update soon. Would love to hear about your adventures there!! =P

    Nurlin

    By Blogger Unknown, at Tuesday, October 11, 2005 4:52:00 PM  

  • Wow...Sounds like you are having a lot of fun!! Lol...Btw, do you know that John is also in Japan? He's on exchange in Kobe for 6 months. http://blog.goo.ne.jp/kyo_meikin Check his blog! I think it is really cool. Hope to hear from you soon.....

    By Blogger Scientive, at Tuesday, October 11, 2005 11:34:00 PM  

  • Vivian, drunk? Awwww we're not there to see it.

    Congratulations on the competitions. It must be so much fun to play at their level of kendo.

    I agree with everyone else you sound like you're really enjoying yourself, which is so great.

    Teach us some nittaidai women's secret techniques when you get back viv ;)

    By Blogger Quoth the raven, at Wednesday, October 12, 2005 9:50:00 AM  

  • I want to go!!!
    Viv your representing us so keep kicking butt for us.

    p.s. so your also learning the drunken techniques too, Ill have to challenge you when you get back lol

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, October 12, 2005 2:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home