a MMB! Kendo Blog: Cast Into Bogu

MMB! Kendo Blog

Saturday, June 03, 2006


忍耐 + 掌握人生
Cast Into Bogu

What a great feeling to get back into those beautifully scented bogu!

I went to 4 training this week. Of the last two - Thursday at UNSW, and today in Willoughby, I wore the new thinner cast and was able to train in full bogu for the 1st time in 5 weeks.

With the cast on, my left hand doesn't hurt during the keiko now. However, it reduces a lot of my wrist flexing movement, so I have to adjust my kamae and cutting movements to accommodation the loss of movement.

There are much to work on between now and the Australian Team Selection Trial, which is exactly 4 weeks. After the 2 bogu keiko session, I realise that I need to get my kendo stamina back. (Sensei, please be kind and hand down those uchikomi-geiko and kakari-geiko on me.) I also need to get the seme feeling and the body-shinai coordination back. (Mmmmm, sounds like I have to work on everything.)

Bibian, Gambarimasu!!

8th Dan Shinsa Videos
By request, I have uploaded the following 8th Dan Kendo Grading videos which were taken in Kyoto on 2nd May 2006. The first 2 clips are matches with a nito player. The 3rd clip is the Who's Who list of Kendo who were on the grading panel. In that particular 8dan shinsa in Kyoto, 16 were successfully graded to 8th dan out of a total of >1300 applicants. A fantastic 1% passing rate on the toughest exam on earth.

8th Dan Shinsa - Nito


8th Dan Shinsa - Nito


The Who's Who Grading Panel

4 Comments:

  • Seriously cool Nito video's.

    I am inspired to learn it.

    How do you go about learning Nito and do you have be a Dan for it?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, June 04, 2006 6:08:00 PM  

  • As we don't have any Sensei who does nito in Australia, I think you will have to study Nito from books and tapes. Nishimoto san from Sydney Kendo Club has started practicing nito since last October. Maybe you can come on Saturday, and ask for his recommendation.

    By Blogger Vivian Yung, at Sunday, June 04, 2006 6:39:00 PM  

  • Hi Vivian, good to hear that you're back into proper training again.

    Have you played against nito much? There is a nidan who dabbles in nito at our club but I have only had jigeiko with him once.

    And yeah, I think you have to be dan grade to do it, just like jodan.

    By Blogger Son, at Friday, June 09, 2006 5:28:00 PM  

  • Hi Son,

    Toshio Nishimoto from my club does nito and so I am fortunate enough to have the opportunity to keiko with a nito player.

    There is no set rules that says only dan grade can practice jodan or nito. It all depends on the actual technical capability of the person.

    By Blogger Vivian Yung, at Friday, June 09, 2006 6:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home