a MMB! Kendo Blog: 10th Korean Kumdo Championships

MMB! Kendo Blog

Tuesday, May 15, 2007


忍耐 + 掌握人生
10th Korean Kumdo Championships

It has been an energising and colourful two weeks since the last post. I have started to visit and train in my own university's dojo in the main campus. Besides going to a different dojo to train, I also attended the State Squad Training down in Wollongong last Tuesday night, and competed in the Korean Kumdo Championships on the weekend. The experience I got out of all them were very pleasant and positive, so I am very happy.

University of Sydney Kendo Club
Two Fridays ago, I decided to visit my university's kendo club after my biochemistry exam to de-stress, rejuvenate and to see the training activities ran by the club. When I stepped into the dojo, I was very surprised to see so many people training. There were some 40 people, with the class equally splitted into bogu and beginner classes.

I must say the energy and enthusiasm displayed by all the players there were infectious. Everyone was very keen to learn and play kendo, and so I had a very good training session there.

I returned there to train again last Friday, just before the Korean Kumdo Championships on the following day. I really enjoy the training there and am considering to attend the Friday's training session of my university on a regular basis from now on.

State Squad Training - Wollongong
There was state squad training last Tuesday down in Wollongong. After my 5pm lecture finished, I drove straight to Wollongong for the training. About 10 squad members turned up to training and we had 30 mins of waza session, with the rest as shiai geiko and free jigeiko.

In the shiai-geiko session, the focus was to practice playing in a team situation. Paul Rixon Sensei told us to initiate high success rate cut, and refrain ourselves from making brashed and risky moves. In a team situation, it is better to have a draw , instead of risking too highly and lose point for the team.

The training finished at 9:30pm. And by the time I got home, it was 11pm and I clocked up 220km in one day.

10th Korean Kumdo Championships, 12-May
It has been a while since my last competition. With the recent reduced and irregular training frequency, I was honestly quite nervous about this competition. I didn't know whether I could play well and there were just too many unnecessary worries in my head.

I participated in the Womens Individuals and the Dan Individuals events. Kyu and children competitions were first up on the day, so there was quite a while before the Women's competition.

While waiting for my match, I knew deep inside me that I was way too nervous. Some people asked why would I be nervous for a local competition when I have competed in bigger championships like the Worlds. However, to me, I see all competitions are the same. If there is a desire to achieve a goal, there must be some kind of emotional, mental and physiological effects on the body.

To suppress my nervousness, I decided to direct my focus and energy to something more pleasant and positive. I told myself that my goal in this competition was to play as strongly and positive as I can, to show everyone my best kendo, so that no matter what the final result would be, win or lost, I could walk out feeling like a winner.

That change of thinking instantly gave me a rush of positive energy, and I was really looking forward to my match against any players. Whoever they were, strong or weak, I didn't really care. I just wanted to go out there and show my strong and straight kendo to everyone who was watching and supporting me from the side.

I played four matches, each winning 2-0, before reaching the Women's Individuals finals. As I expected, my opponent was Shoko from Wollongong. I was very prepared this time mentally, and I was ready to play my best kendo without any worries or fear - just total commitment to every single cut I am going to throw in. The match result turned out very positively and I won the match 2-0 with two men cuts. The whole process from the pool matches to winning in the final was just great.

Now, with less than 4 weeks to go, let's hope that I can take this positive energy with me and continue on to achieve greater in National Championships in Melbourne.

During the competition - I am on the right.
(photo taken by David Banbury)

Men-ari!!!
(photo taken by David Banbury)

Me and my trophy - with Brendan Kee (ACT) next to me
(photo taken by Thao)

A happy snap with Thao
(photo taken by Thao)

7 Comments:

  • Hi vivian, congratulations on the win! I like the bit where you mentioned how you deal with being nervous. My way is usually thinking that my opponent is just a mirror to reflect my own weaknesses, so I'm actually fighting against myself. Then I stop caring about other things, like, who the opponent is etc, and become focused. But funnily I tend to speak very little on the day on competition, turning on my "combat mode". Some people tell me afterwards how serious I looked.

    By Blogger Unknown, at Tuesday, May 15, 2007 7:12:00 PM  

  • Hey Ivan,

    Thank you about your comment and the interesting bit about how you deal with your nerves in competition.

    Btw, thank you for your continued support. Your speed of posting this comment just minutes after I published this latest post was purely amazing.

    By Blogger Vivian Yung, at Tuesday, May 15, 2007 8:30:00 PM  

  • ah, my pleasure. I find it more amazing how quickly my mind drift away from the work that I'm supposed to be doing..

    By Blogger Unknown, at Wednesday, May 16, 2007 2:06:00 AM  

  • Hi Vivian!

    Congratulations! For me it's clear that your commitment to Kendo takes you to a bright path :)

    I recently had my first shiai, and I must confess that nervousness impacts directly in the way you perform. Also concentration: having your mind fully committed to the next ippon is important as well.

    In order to blow away nervousness I simply try to focus and build up "kiai". It's like pumping a balloon: the balloon blows up the moment shimpan shouts "Hajime!" with a loud kiai and fast movement forward, pressing from the very first instant.

    I am certainly glad to read about your success, and also that you found another place to enjoy Kendo.

    Bye, and keep that spirit up!

    By Blogger Leon, at Friday, May 18, 2007 11:52:00 PM  

  • Thank you Leon and your support, as always. Congratulations also on your win at your National Championships!

    By Blogger Vivian Yung, at Sunday, May 20, 2007 4:09:00 PM  

  • Hello Vivian the champ!!!

    it's been a while since i stepped by...

    Congratulations, sincere congratulations for the 1st place, the trophee and all the notoriouty and glory tha goes along. :)

    i hope you'll do the same for the National Championship in Melbourne.

    Take care
    Samir

    By Blogger CNK, at Sunday, May 20, 2007 7:28:00 PM  

  • Thanks Samir. I will try to keep last Saturday's feeling with me and bring it to Melbourne next month.

    By Blogger Vivian Yung, at Sunday, May 20, 2007 10:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home