a MMB! Kendo Blog: First Training After Nationals

MMB! Kendo Blog

Sunday, April 03, 2005


忍耐 + 掌握人生
First Training After Nationals

Yesterday was my first training since the National Championships. The training was great. There was a massive turnout of players. I think there were about 50 people training yesterday. We also had two visiting Japanese players yesterday. Masaru Onodera sensei, 5th Dan, who said he worked for the Tokyo Police, and Takeshi san, 4th Dan, who was a Nippon Daigaku student and is now studying in USYD. Takeshi's speed and explosive power were amazing. He could be in chudan no kamae for one second and the next split second he explosively lunged to a powerful men cut. His suriage and kaeshi kote was so fast and controlled, it makes me wonder how long would I need to train for my kendo to become as good and as natural as Takeshi. He really played like the Nittaidai students. It was definitely good to have visiting Japanese kendoka coming to our club to train with us.

I played Takeshi, Onodera sensei, Sano sensei and Mike Henstock during the jigeiko session today.

Break Centre --> ATTACK
Every time I played Sano sensei, it was guaranteed that I would learn something through Sano sensei' subtle revealation of the shortcomings in my techniques. Today, he revealed two of my shortcomings.

I was determined to apply seme and break Sano sensei's centre by tapping and pressing his shinai with mine. However, I was too carried away with tapping his shinai that I didn't realise I have already GOT the opening I wanted. It was until Sano sensei's shinai was WAAAAAY off the centre did I realise that the opportunity has long opened. Sano sensei has deliberately let me tap his shinai off the centre and must be looking at when I would realise the opened opportunity. Although I must have looked utterly stupid at that time, I really like the way Sano sensei revealed my mistakes through action rather than talks. It made me think more.

This story shows that I need to understand that the intention of breaking my opponent's centre was to create an attacking opportunity, not tapping the shinai for the sake of tapping.

Kote Cuts & My Left Foot
Another thing that Sano sensei pointed out was my kote cut. I need to be careful of my left foot movement before the kote cut. At the moment, my left foot stepped to the side before I make a kote cut attempt which gave the hint off to the opponent. Sano sensei could see that I was intending to cut kote before I commit the kote cut. So, I need to make sure that my left foot moves forward, but not sideway when executing kote cut.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home