a MMB! Kendo Blog: Explosive Feeling

MMB! Kendo Blog

Monday, November 14, 2005


忍耐 + 掌握人生
Explosive Feeling

Tonight I had my best keiko since coming back from Japan. Catching up on sleep over the weekend certainly helped get the energy flowing again. I felt explosive tonight.

There were 11 people at Pyrmont training tonight. I had jigeiko with Jayson, Taek, Itakura Sensei, Onodera Sensei, Payne Sensei, Isaac, Toshio, Andrew, and Jayson again in that order. The only person I missed playing because of the rotation was Chris.

Big-Step Fumikomi
Tonight I was concentrating on the launching and fumikomi during my men-cut - right foot takes big step fumikomi; left foot supports the launching (no flying, trailing left leg). By concentrating on these basics, I could feel my body moving forward in a more power fashion and a lot more forward momentum than it used to be. As a result, I could feel my attack become much stronger.

Seme
Itakura Sensei pointed out that I need to build up my seme before an attack. So then I tried using the movements of my kensen, my body and my footwork to get reaction from my opponents and create opportunities for attacking.

Nito
I love playing against Nishimoto-san's nito. Alas, I only had 30 seconds jigeiko with him towards the end of the training session. I am eagerly looking forward to my next jigeiko with him to practice gyaku-doh and, hmmm... tsuki. As I mentioned before, kendoka who plays jodan or nito sends an automatic tsuki invitation to his/her opponent. I am taking this invitation, of course!

Forearm Positioning
Beware of my arm movements and positioning just before an attack. Make sure that I don't lift my hand up or lean my body forward to signal an impending attack. Keep my kamae tall and straight, and my arms relaxed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home