a MMB! Kendo Blog: Onwards to Melbourne

MMB! Kendo Blog

Friday, October 06, 2006


忍耐 + 掌握人生
Onwards to Melbourne

It is beer hour now, and I am sitting in the office eating pizzas and pies. Good that the Friday night drinks is on my floor tonight, so food is easily within reach. In an hour time, I will be dragging my bogu bag and shinai from the office to the airport. And will fly with Ka-bi to the final Australian Team training session before the World Championships.

Monday - Five Dock
I went to Five Dock for keiko as Monday was a public holiday (Labour Day) and UNSW was closed. A lot of the core UNSWKC group also attended the Five Dock training.

After one round of kirikaeshi, the rest of the 1-hour session was mawari-jigeiko.

During the 10 rounds of jigeiko, my focus on that training session was on the body posture, making sure that I make as minimal unnecessary movements as possible.

I had 2 rotations paired up with Yoshiyuki, and it was very exciting to engage keiko with him. He is a fast player. Unlike most of the players in the club where they execute one cut at a time, he is the type of player that has a keen eye for opportunities. If the first cut does not exceed, he spared no time to cut the next opened target, and so on, until he scored an ippon. PAM BAMM BAMM. The consecutive follow-up cuts were executed in such a short time that players who were more accustomed to the one-cut-at-a-time style found themselves in a defensive position.

Feedbacks from Yoshiyuki:

  • Keen eyes for opportunities - Most players are accustomed to the set-up > one cut > follow-through > set-up cycle. If I could train my eyes to keep looking for opportunities and my body ready to launch the attack as soon as I finished a cut, I could create my attacking opporutnities myself, and difficult for my opponent to deal with.
  • Close-distance snappy kote - When in close-distance situation, the body is allowed to lunge to a level lower than normal kamae. Position the arms in a lower-than-normal level to allow the extended arms to cut with the correct part of the shinai.

Friday - Willoughby
Mark Stone and I led the training as Itakura Sensei was away. It was a great basics training session . And I used this session to really concentrate on the basics of posture, footwork and men cuts.

Itakura Sensei has set out debana-men as the waza in focus on the night. So after working on sashi-men that the class practiced last week, we focused on debana-men.

The emphasis of the night were on:
  • One-step one-cut
  • Keeping the kensen as close to the nodo as possible before launching men-cut
  • Cutting with the correct part of the shinani
It was great to hear the positive feedbacks from Dave Banbury that he felt the pressure from my kensen when I went for men-cut.

Anyway, it is time for me to fly...

Onwards to Melbourne... then to Taipei.

6 Comments:

  • Hi Vivian,

    We also have some players that has that style of go, go, go.

    I like to play against them because it helps me to develop a sense of awareness, and also help to keep my own reflexes alive, however, what I like the most, is that explosive one-cut strike, that will leave your opponent motionless. Indeed, very difficult to do but, I have seen one of these in the match between Japan and France, during the last WKC in Glasgow.
    Have fun in Melbourne!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, October 07, 2006 10:50:00 PM  

  • You probably knew it already, the schedule for the WKC is out! You're against Germany and Hong Kong in the individuals, and against Hungary in the team event. Good luck!

    By Blogger Unknown, at Sunday, October 08, 2006 1:13:00 AM  

  • Happy Kendo! good luck!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, October 10, 2006 1:10:00 PM  

  • Thanks for all your message. I returned back from the 3-day Aus team training last night, and every part of my body is aching, especially my hamstring. oh oh oh OUCH!!!

    The training was fantastic, and everyone put their complete heart and soul into every moment of the training. And I know that the whole team is just in the same situation as me now - sore everywhere, but happy with the effort the team put in.

    By Blogger Vivian Yung, at Tuesday, October 10, 2006 4:59:00 PM  

  • Yes, I have Dance Yokoo in my pool. I heard that she is the German champion and one of the best in Europe, so I am very looking forward to cross-sword with her at the WKC.

    By Blogger Vivian Yung, at Tuesday, October 10, 2006 5:01:00 PM  

  • Hi Vivian,

    Nice to hear you have had a great time. Here, Team Canada also came down to Toronto for the last practice before Taipei, and it was really hard for them too. My son and I were invited for a special keiko with them on Sunday night, and it was great.

    And remember Vivian, no matter whom you have to face, you always have to believe on your own confidence..... counting the hours to board the plane :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, October 11, 2006 11:26:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home