a MMB! Kendo Blog: Sliding Ahead

MMB! Kendo Blog

Sunday, August 20, 2006


忍耐 + 掌握人生
Sliding Ahead

This week has been a little bit difficult to negotiate time for myself to attend dojo training. I only attended Saturday morning training at Willoughby. My usual Monday training was substituted by a scheduled system testing roster at work. From Wednesday onwards, I got a bout of flu from my boss, who has slightly recovered from a serious lung infection just a week before. Poor guy, he must have gone through many sleepless nights after his new bub was born 4 weeks ago.

Even though I couldn't attend as many dojo training as I would like, I have been doing some training on my own - going to the gym and doing the usual cardio/anaerobic exercise routine in the morning before work, and on Thursday and Friday nights, I went to the local sport grounds and did some jogging and a lot of footwork training.

Aiko
On Saturday, I brought a Japanese friend, whom I met at the Japanese language school I am attending, with me to Willoughby training.

To give you a quick background, I am currently taking Japanese language class every Tuesday after work. Lately, there have been two student teachers taking my class. During conversations, I found out that Aiko, one of the 2 student teachers, is a Kendo 2-Dan, but have stopped praciticing after graduating from high school 3 years ago. I immediately invited her to join our Saturday training. At first she was very hesitant, but after much urging and encouragement, I finally succeeded.

So I brought 2 sets of everything to Saturday training - 2 sets of bogu, 2 tenugui, 2 sets of kendo gi and hakama, well for shinai, I just brought my usual 3 shinai.

Today Payne Sensei led quite a long session of warm-up which finished at 11am. Then we put our bogu on and moved on to waza session. I was one of the 7 motodachi on the floor today. We started off with kirikaeshi, followed by nidan waza, men-taitari-hiki-(men/kote/do) waza, seme-men and finally finished off with kirikaeshi.

From 11:15am onwards, the jigeiko session began. My focus on today's session is to maintain my composure in chudan, keep a strong centre, and concentrate on applying seme on my opponents. I don't have any major discoveries today, but I did found that more ashi-sabaki was very sharp today. I felt very light and at ease moving around, sliding back and forth as I wish. The footwork training at nights really made a difference to my keiko performance.

I also tried to practice oji-waza. Need to work more on the timing as I still couldn't execute my oji waza quick enough to stand the ground (and not to execute backward-going techniques).

The training ended early today at 11:45am as the club's Annual General Meeting was held. Thank you to Andoru for leading SKC for the past 2 years. Congratulations on our new club President Chris Super-Taitari Barbe, and Jayson Snappy-men Chaplin as the new Secretary.

Afterwards, 15 of us (including Sano Sensei too!) went to Black Cow for a big groupie lunch. I had my favourite baked garoupa in half tomato sauce and half cheese and mushroom sauce. Yummy!!!

Afterwards, I drove Aiko to Chatswood station. On the way, she told me that she gave away all her kendo gears after senior high school graduation as the kendo training was too harsh to find enjoyment anymore. In her kendo years, she and her friends often trained to the stage where one became unconscious. But today, she said she was very happy to play kendo again. It was great for me to hear that. I really hope that she will come to kendo training with me from now on.


Kendo Videos
I would like to share some videos I taped at the 53rd All Japan University Championships 2006 at the Nippon Budokan. Also, I found two exciting videos in YouTube kindly uploaded by dodaichi85.

Finals of the 53rd All Japan University Championships

Senpo match


Jiho match


Sansho match


Chuken match


Gosho match


Fukusho match


Taisho match


Miyazaki vs. Eiga



11 Comments:

  • Thanks for sharing the videos. They're really exciting and great actions. Btw, where did you girls actually go for dinner in the end? ha ha.

    Looking forward to seeing the taisho match!

    By Blogger Unknown, at Monday, August 21, 2006 3:08:00 AM  

  • Great to hear that you enjoy the videos. The Taisho match is up now. So try refreshing this page and you should be able to see the video.

    About 15 kendo friends (guys and girls, and Sano Sensei too!) had lunch at 'Black Cow' - aka. Victoria Noodle Restaurant in Chatswood. The reason why we called it 'Black Cow'? Well, that's because this restaurant gives funny name to its drinks. One of them is called 'Black Cow', which is a scoop of ice-cream on coke. We like the funny name, so we simply called the restaurant Black Cow.

    By Blogger Vivian Yung, at Monday, August 21, 2006 3:38:00 AM  

  • ah haha I meant on the day of the university championship, cuz you and your japanese friend kept saying repeatedly "where are we going for dinner toight". I think it was during the Gosho's match :) anyway, j/k

    Which universities were in the final actually?

    By Blogger Unknown, at Monday, August 21, 2006 7:18:00 AM  

  • Aha, we went to Jonathon's - a western family styled restaurant.

    hehe, apologies for the exciting off-court commentating.

    By Blogger Vivian Yung, at Monday, August 21, 2006 8:06:00 AM  

  • Viv I got a Japanese work colleague here whose whole family has learnt Kendo, he reached 2nd Kyu at the age of 12 but then he quit! now he's my age and I was trying to get him to come back to Kendo hahaha

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, August 21, 2006 11:07:00 AM  

  • Whoa, Eddie! Bring the whole samurai family back to Kendo!!!

    By Blogger Vivian Yung, at Monday, August 21, 2006 11:52:00 AM  

  • Cool videos Vivian! :)...

    It was funny how one of the Miyazaki vs Eiga video was full commentary and the other one was silent. Interesting.

    Who was the red team and who was the white team in the University Championships?

    By Blogger Quoth the raven, at Tuesday, August 22, 2006 11:54:00 PM  

  • The Champion team in red is National Institute of Fitness & Sports in Kanoya - 鹿屋体育大学. http://www.nifs-k.ac.jp/

    The white team is Waseda University - 早稲田大学. http://www.waseda.jp/top/index-j.html

    By Blogger Vivian Yung, at Wednesday, August 23, 2006 7:43:00 AM  

  • ahhh... Waseda university we have kendo students coming to Germany every year around Feb. Didn't know they top the university championship! Pity I wasn't in Bogu at the time they came.

    By Blogger Unknown, at Thursday, August 24, 2006 10:11:00 PM  

  • Oh two years ago their taisho came here, and his tsuki was filmed on camera. Here:
    http://www.kenvo.de/forum/index.php?
    action=dlattach;topic=11.0;attach=15

    There is a thread (actually two, someone else reposted it) talking about it
    http://www.kendo-world.com/forum/
    showthread.php?t=10377&highlight=tsuki

    Pity I wasn't there!

    By Blogger Unknown, at Thursday, August 24, 2006 10:23:00 PM  

  • Hey Ivan,

    Thanks for the video clip. That's a beautiful powerful tsuki.

    Your club is very lucky to have a good relationship with Waseda University.

    Looking forward to seeing you in the clip next Feb.

    :)

    By Blogger Vivian Yung, at Friday, August 25, 2006 6:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home