a MMB! Kendo Blog: Positive Mind more important than ever

MMB! Kendo Blog

Friday, November 18, 2005


忍耐 + 掌握人生
Positive Mind more important than ever

Importance of Kirikaeshi
I attended the UNSW training last night. Kirby led the 20-people class and started off with a QA section on what's the importance of doing kirikaeshi. 'Big cut', 'distance', 'correct angle of cut' were some of the replies from the class. Kirby then asked the class to practice a few rounds of kirikaeshi with those purposes in mind, and the motodachi would not block his/her partner's cut so to allow him/her to practice crisp and correct angle of cutting.

Hiki-waza
We then practiced a few rounds each of seme hiki-men, hiki-kote, and hiki-doh, where the players in each pair would practice the men-hiki-(men/kote/doh) waza by going up and down the width of the hall.

During the practice I realised that my head was tilting back while executing the hiki-waza. So from now on, I must remember to look straight ahead, with chin tucked in every time I execute hiki-waza.

Ai-Uchikomi-geiko
We then did about 6 rounds of short ai-uchikomi-geiko. The most difficult thing in ai-uchikomi-geiko was that there would be many occassions where both sides would get entangled into a mess when both tried to execute the same cut at the same time. Although ai-uchikomi-geiko was the most tiring of all sessions, I really enjoyed it because it kind of reminded me the even scarier kakari-geiko I have experienced in Nittaidai. That was a smashing experience, which I strangely learn to love. Crazy, isn't it?

Men-Debana-kote
Kirby then led the class to practice men-debana-kote. Kirby emphasised that both sides must cut as realistically as possible to make the practice worthwhile.

About executing de-kote, there is no need to take a large step forward. A fumikomi on the same spot would be sufficient to cut the opponent's kote as the opponent would close off the distance while executing men cut.

Jigeiko
With only 7 minutes left on the clock, we had jigeiko session. I was really looking forward to this, especially when I know that my training partners in the next few rotations would be Michael, Mark Stone, Sano Sensei, etc...

I was again concentrating on exploring attacking opportunities in tsubazerai situation, and the practicing of various way to execute hiki-waza. And of course, keep on working on making explosive and decisive tobikomi-waza.

The Sprained Left Ankle Challenge
I was really enjoying the jigeiko with Michael. The intensity kept my adrenalin pumping. About half-way through the jigeiko with Mike, I executed a hiki-men cut with variations of my footwork just before the cut. When I completed the hiki-waza and was going backward, I bumped into Dave Forrester and landed my left foot on his and rolled my ankle quite heavily. I couldn't put any weight on to my left foot afterwards, and didn't dare to put any, because it was pretty sore even with no weight bearing.

Kirby was so kind to arrange ice for me straight away and bandaged my foot. I hope with this early first aid R.I.C.E. treatment, the healing time for my sprained ankle will be significantly reduced.

I applied further icing when I arrived home, and reapplied bandaging. It was pretty tough and tiring to do the easiest thing, like walking upstairs and taking shower, or just walking from the computer room to my bedroom. I was limping everywhere.

This morning I hired a pair of crutches and went to work. haha, so many pairs of strange but supportive eyes looked at me while I was limping with my crutches from Wynyard station all the way, along George Street, to my office.

Tomorrow I will have a physio appointment at the clinic where I do my weekly physio training. Hopefully, Tristan and Mary will have some advices for me to further reduce the recovery time.

I hope positive mind will have a positive result to my recovery time. With two weeks to go till the State Championships, now is the time to be as positive as I can be. Gambarimashoo!!!!

7 Comments:

  • Hope your ankle gets better! I was pretty crushed when you twisted it. Was hoping for a jigeiko with you. =( But anyways, I'm sure you'll be aite by comp.

    By Blogger Unknown, at Friday, November 18, 2005 4:15:00 PM  

  • Thanks Nurlin. I was hoping to jigeiko with you, and everyone else. I was really really really looking forward to the jigeiko session.

    Thanks for the well wishes. I too will make sure that the ankle will heal as quickly and good as possible.

    By Blogger Vivian Yung, at Friday, November 18, 2005 4:34:00 PM  

  • hey I was going to say... vivian your learning Physio therapy you know the best way to recover fast, that will be very handy!
    Anyways I was going to say the same thing as Nurlin but she beat me to it. Ill c you in Jigeiko

    *stares*

    muhahahha

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, November 18, 2005 5:17:00 PM  

  • *super stare plus loud kiai back*

    haha, Eddie. Sure thing. Make sure you are ready in the next jigeiko.

    By Blogger Vivian Yung, at Friday, November 18, 2005 8:25:00 PM  

  • Hey mmb~!

    Hope your ankle gets better soon~!

    Wei, I've sent you quite a few emails regarding the party but haven't received a response - did you get them?

    Can you email or call me to confirm? Thanks~!

    plautus =p

    By Blogger plautus, at Saturday, November 19, 2005 3:04:00 PM  

  • Hey Cindy! It was very nice talking to you on the phone this afternoon. Thank you for spending the time listening to my stories.

    No problem. I will bring Greek or Italian salad.

    By Blogger Vivian Yung, at Saturday, November 19, 2005 7:25:00 PM  

  • Thankyou so much Vivian! Really nice of you to share your stories - hope everything goes well =p I'm sure it will!

    Can't wait to see you next weekend!

    By Blogger plautus, at Saturday, November 19, 2005 11:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home