a MMB! Kendo Blog: My Physio Consultation

MMB! Kendo Blog

Saturday, November 19, 2005


忍耐 + 掌握人生
My Physio Consultation

I had my physio appointment this morning. I told Tristan, one of the two physio who worked at the clinic on Saturday, about how I rolled my ankle. He noted them down, and did some palpation and resistant tests starting from the lateral side of my left foot. Strangely, I felt no pain at all on the lateral side, which we both found very strange. Then Tristan turned to palpate the medial side, and Oouch! The bone called navicular was very sore when he pressed around that area. Then he did some ankle inversion resistant test on me, and it was very painful. So that was a very interesting result. We both thought it would be a lateral ligament sprain and would be easy to diagnose. But no, I have jammed the medial ligament connecting to the Navicular bone, which controls the ankle inversion function.

I was given a set of gentle ankle exercises to do, as well as ultra-sound, foot compression, and cryotherapy. I will continue to do them at home, and will revisit the clinic on Tuesday and Thursday after work next week.

When I asked how long it will take to heal the ankle properly, Tristan told me that it's 4 - 6 weeks. He said I will be 'really pushing it' if I am to play in the State Championships in 2 weeks time. It's a tough dilemma, but I think it's prudent for me to heal my ankle properly first. So reluctantly I will need to give this year's State a miss. That will then ensure that I will be 100% ready for the national squad training in Jan, and so on.

9 Comments:

  • too bad that you can't make the championship Viv, but more importantly its good news to hear that it will heal in 4-6 weeks. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, November 20, 2005 10:54:00 PM  

  • Oh viv that's such a shame :(...
    But I agree it's more important to take care of your ankle and make sure you don't injure it more

    By Blogger Quoth the raven, at Monday, November 21, 2005 2:04:00 PM  

  • Eddie, thanks for the optimistic comment. I will make sure to let my ankle fully heal first, so that I can train even harder for the National Championships. ^_^

    By Blogger Vivian Yung, at Monday, November 21, 2005 4:37:00 PM  

  • Hey Sussan,

    Thanks for visiting my blog during your exam period. How's your exam going?

    Yeah, I would love to defend my State title, but maybe I will save up that energy for next year.

    By Blogger Vivian Yung, at Monday, November 21, 2005 4:40:00 PM  

  • That's a pity...but the health comes first. I might have to give up mine too due to my left arm injury. It's been a couple of weeks now. NO improvement but increaing pain as I continued to train.I need to give a rest for a while. I look forward to train with you again. Remember, Tsuki and Gyakudo are also an invitation for my Debana men.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, November 21, 2005 10:38:00 PM  

  • Thanks T. I love playing against you. It's so exciting that you are constantly trying new things, which make practicing with you so much fun.

    I am sorry to hear that your wrist is hurting. Looks like the katate waza might have been putting too much strain on your left wrist. Take it easy, and give time for the ligament / tendon to heal. Probably additional strengthening of your wrist (provided that it doesn't hurt in doing that) would help prevent future injury.

    heh, let us both make sure we recover to full strength, and you can try your debana-men, and I will practice the gyaku-doh and tsuki. I look forward to jigeiko again with you.

    By Blogger Vivian Yung, at Tuesday, November 22, 2005 9:10:00 AM  

  • Hey Viv,
    Im heading down to the gold coast during christmas time and I know theres a Dojo down there called Shubukai, I want to stop by there to train/visit duirng hte christmas break. I have tried calling that number and ended up getting some answering machine with a japanese girl speaking in japanese, I left amessage but I dont even know if its a kendo club that I called haha and I dont knwo what she said, she spoke too fast and fluent lol.
    who is the head sensei for Kendo and Iaido down there? do you know much about that place? or have you been there?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, November 24, 2005 5:39:00 PM  

  • nevermind they called back hehe they said its cool to train down there.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, November 26, 2005 12:42:00 PM  

  • Hey, that's great news. Sorry I didn't catch your question earlier.

    By Blogger Vivian Yung, at Saturday, November 26, 2005 3:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home